Performance in Practice (PIP) units are designed for “Clinically Active” psychiatrists (see definitions below) to promote practice improvement activities through both chart review and external review. View the ABPN document on requirements and how to complete a PIP Module.
- If your last recertification was& before 2012: You must complete one PIP unit in the 10 year period before you apply for the recertification examination.
- If your last recertification was in 2012 or after: You must complete one PIP unit every three years for a total of three PIP units in 10 years.
Please note: "Clinical Inactive" psychiatrists (no direct and or/consultative patient care has been provide in the past 24 months) are required to complete all components of the MOC program except PIP Units. (For more information, please refer to ABPN MOC Program.)
Clinical Module (Chart Review)
Completing a clinical module requires a physician to compare his or her own practice against known clinical standards. Physicians can pick any module from a list of ABPN approved products.
- There are three stages to each clinical module:
- Stage A, Chart Review: the physician uses a Practice Assessment tool to review five patient charts and assess whether his or her current practice is consistent with evidence-based recommendations.
- Stage B, documentation of an improvement plan: the physician devises and initiates a plan for improvement.
- Stage C, repeat chart review: Within 24 months of the initial chart review and implementation of an improvement plan, the physician completes a second chart review using the same module.
- ABPN will not ask you to send any identifiable clinical data as part of completing a module.
- ABMS Portfolio Program: If a physician's institute QI program participates in the ABMS Portfolio Program, then that activity will satisfy the Clinical Module component, OR
- Individual Pre-Approval: Physicians who wish to have their own individual or institutional QI activity pre-approved should submit an Individual Part IV Improvement in Medical Practice (PIP) Approval Request Form (.pdf).
How APA Can Help You
APA offers a number of Performance in Practice Clinical Modules, which are free for APA members at APA Learning Center.
Psychiatrists can earn up to 20 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for the completion of each 3-stage module. Available modules include:
- Physician Practice Assessment Tools for Assessment and Treatment of Adults at Risk for Suicide and Suicide-Related Behaviors
- Physician Practice Assessment Tool for the Care of Patients with a Diagnosis of Schizophrenia
- Physician Practice Assessment Tool for the Care of Patients with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- PIP: Clinical Module for Screening Adult Psychiatric Patients for Substance Use Disorders