Why become an International Fellow?
- International Fellow status is an honor that reflects your dedication to the work of the APA and signifies your allegiance to the psychiatric profession.
- You are recognized by your colleagues in the Association as a member of a very select group.
- All newly appointed International Fellows are publicly recognized at the Convocation of Fellows and Distinguished Fellows, which is held every year during APA's Annual Meeting.
- You receive an embossed International Fellow certificate and a lapel pin in recognition of your status.
- Annual dues rates for International Members and International Fellows are the same.
Guidelines and Criteria for Eligibility
- You must be a current APA International Member in good standing, with three (3) years of APA membership OR three (3) years as a Member/ Fellow in good standing of either: 1) Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists, 2) Royal College of Psychiatrists (UK), or 3) your national or local psychiatric organization. A letter of verification on the organization's letterhead is required. The letter must be in English or a certified translation.
- Board certification in psychiatry or equivalent, if certification exists in your country.
- Approval by the APA Membership Committee in October of each year.
- Approval by the APA Board of Trustees in December of each year.
- Individuals from countries against which the United States Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control has issued comprehensive sanctions (including Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria and the Crimea Region of Ukraine) are eligible to receive information and informational materials only, as allowed by the exemptions within the relevant OFAC sanctions programs and are ineligible to apply for these designations. For questions, please contact [email protected].
How Do I Apply?
If you meet all the requirements, please complete the online International Fellowship application. All applications must be submitted to the American Psychiatric Association by September 1 of each year.
If you are not a current APA International Member, you must complete an International Membership application when submitting the International Fellowship application.