APA's 13 councils and their committees were established by the Board of Trustees to implement APA's objectives. APA’s councils and committees are together known as components. Members of these APA components provide their expertise in the development of APA policy and resources for our membership and the profession.
Serve on an APA Component
Nominations are now closed for the 2021-2022 Presidential appointments cycle.
APA's many accomplishments are made possible through the generosity of members' time, energy and expertise. About one-third of the positions on all APA's councils and committees are open for appointment by the President-Elect each year. While members who currently serve on a Component may be eligible for reappointment at the end of their term, any potential reappointment is at the President-elect's discretion. All appointments will begin effective May 25, 2022.
The deadline to submit nominations was September 1, 2021. For questions, please contact [email protected].
Learn about the work and purpose of each council.
Download the Component Guide (member-only .pdf) to view an outline of the responsibilities of Components, Component Chairs, and Component Members, and some of the terms and conditions under which members accept appointment to those positions, and to provide information and resources to assist in administering those responsibilities.
- Council on Addiction Psychiatry
- Council on Advocacy and Government Relations
- Committee on Advocacy and Litigation Funding
- Council on Children, Adolescents, and Their Families
- Committee on Women's Mental Health
- Council on Communications
- Council on Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Council on Geriatric Psychiatry
- Council on Healthcare Systems and Financing
- Committee on Reimbursement for Psychiatric Care
- Committee on Telepsychiatry
- Committee on RBRVS, Codes and Reimbursements
- Committee on Integrated Care
- Council on International Psychiatry and Global Health
- Chester M. Pierce Human Rights Award Committee
- Council on Medical Education and Lifelong Learning
- Committee on Innovation
- Vestermark Award Committee
- Committee on Well-Being and Burnout
- Scientific Program Committee of the Annual Meeting
- Scientific Program Committee of the Mental Health Service Conference
- Council on Minority Mental Health and Health Disparities
- Council on Psychiatry and Law
- Committee on Judicial Action
- Council on Quality Care
- Committee on Mental Health IT
- Committee on Quality and Performance Measurement
- Committee on Practice Guidelines
- Council on Research
- Committee on Psychiatric Dimensions of Disaster
- Committee on Climate Change and Mental Health
View photo directories to find APA Council Members (available to APA Members).