The Council on Children, Adolescents, and Their Families works to advance the diagnosis and treatment of children and adolescents with mental health problems. The council keeps psychiatric issues involving children and adolescents in the forefront of APA policy and works to assist general psychiatrists in learning more about treating or referring pediatric patients.
Highlights of Responsibilities
- Work with other APA components to advise and assist on matters that impact the emotional lives of children and adolescents such as substance abuse and matters related to juvenile justice.
- Works to help maintain effective communication and collaboration between the APA and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Address the clinical care and provision of services of children and adolescents with developmental disabilities including autistic spectrum disorders and intellectual disabilities.
- Work to increase the awareness of the prevalence and promote the prevention of all types of violence including the physical and exual abuse of children and spouse as well as other types of domestic abuse.
- Work to promote policies aimed at improving the awareness of mental health issues and the effectiveness of school based treatments within schools across all age ranges and settings.
- Help promote the identification, treatment, and prevention of mental health issues of infants, toddlers, and preschool aged children in collaboration with other professional organizations and related programs.
- Oversee the activities of the Blanche F. Ittleson Research Award Committee.
- Oversee the activities of Agnes Purcell McGavin Awards Selection Committee.
- Oversee the activities of the Council-appointed Child and Adolescent Fellowship Program Work Group.
Committees and Caucuses
- Caucus of Psychiatrists Treating Persons with Intellectual Disabilities
- College Mental Health Caucus
- Committee on Women's Mental Health
- Gabrielle Shapiro, M.D. – Chair
- Balkozar Adam, M.D.
- Steven Adelsheim, M.D.
- Adrian Jacques Ambrose, M.D. (ECP)
- Oscar Buckstein, M.D.
- Mark Chenven, M.D.
- Cailtin Costello, M.D.
- Anish Dube, M.D.
- Lisa Fortuna, M.D.
- Tresha Gibbs, M.D.
- Mary Ann Schaepper, M.D.
- Shawn Siddhu, M.D.
- Elissa Benedeck, M.D.
- Rana Elmagrahby, M.D.
- Stephanie Garayalde, M.D.
- Suzan Song, M.D.
- Lisa Cullins, M.D. - AACAP
- Janet Baek, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Cesar Cardenas, Jr., M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Brenda Cartujano Barrera, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Matthew Fadus, M.D. – APA/APAF Leadership Fellow
- Latoya Frolov, M.D., M.P.H. – Diversity Leadership Fellow
- Stephanie Garayalde, M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Rakin Hoq, M.D. – Diversity Leadership Fellow
- Faisal Kagadkar, M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Asha Martin, M.D. – Diversity Leadership Fellow
- Brandon Newsome, M.D. – SAMHSA Minority Fellow
- Omar Sahak, M.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Rahul Vasireddy, M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow
- Jordan Wong, M.D. – Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellow