The Council on Addiction Psychiatry provides psychiatric leadership in the growing field of prevention and treatment of addictive disorders. The council works to develop and clarify the role of the psychiatrist in the prevention and treatment of addictive disorders and formulates policy recommendations related to these disorders. The council cooperates with other APA bodies to enhance the quality of medical education in addictive disorders at all levels.
Highlights of Responsibilities
- Consider important developments in basic knowledge, treatment, methodology, treatment systems, and related matters in the field of addictive disorders and dissemination of that knowledge
- In cooperation with other appropriate APA components, enhance the quality and quantity of medical education in addictive disorders at all educational levels, including undergraduate, residency, fellowship, and continuing medical education
- Provide additional liaison to medical, educational, consumer-interest, and governmental organizations interested in alcohol and other drug problems
- Collaborate with other councils and components of APA on common issues related to the role of psychiatry in addictive disorders; for example, to improve the quality of care and risk management for people with addictive disorders, to foster adequate research efforts and funding, and to foster adequate reimbursement for treatment
- Liaison with the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) to address mutual interests and priorities and advance shared goals
- Smita Das, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H. – Chair
- Patrick Aquino, M.D. (ASM)
- Jeffrey DeVido, M.D.
- Robert Feder, M.D.
- Marc Fishman, M.D.
- Shelly Greenfield, M.D., M.P.H.
- Jeremy Kidd, M.D.
- Ismene Petrakis, M.D.
- Andrew Saxon, M.D.
- Anil Thomas, M.D.
- Jill Williams, M.D.
- John Renner, M.D. – AAAP
- John Fromson, M.D.
- Miranda Greiner, M.D.
- Mahmoud Aborabeh, M.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Suneel Agerwala, M.D. – Jeanne Spurlock Congressional Fellow
- Ayala Danzig, M.D. – APA/APAF Leadership Fellow
- Danielle Jackson, M.D. – SAMHSA Substance Abuse Fellow
- Robert Rymowicz, D.O. – APA/APAF Leadership Fellow
- Beverly Shin, M.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Emilie Transue, M.D., M.P.H. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Katie Washington Cole, M.D., Ph.D. – Public Psychiatry Fellow
- Nicole Woodson, M.D. – SAMHSA Substance Abuse Fellow
- Joshua Wortzel, M.D. – APA/APAF Leadership Fellow
- Yee Xiong, M.D. – SAMHSA Substance Abuse Fellow