- Clinical and Therapeutic Treatment Modalities
- Steve Daviss, M.D.
Clinical and Therapeutic Treatment Modalities
- Continuity of care remains a challenge for college students who may travel between home and school. Telepsychiatry provides an opportunity to ensure the continuity of care for students who go away to school.
- Psychiatrists treating college students via telepsychiatry should be sure to practice within their scope of practice and using the same standard of care as they would in-person; if the patient requires treatment beyond their scope of practice, the psychiatrist should refer them to another provider.
- The practice of medicine occurs where the patient is located, and so appropriate state licensure laws must be followed; during COVID-19, however, many states have temporarily waived this requirement, so psychiatrists should be sure to check with the respective state's department of health or board of medicine.
- If the patient is located in another state, psychiatrists should check with their malpractice carrier to be sure that they're covered.
- Be sure to read the APA's College Mental Health, Telepsychiatry: Best Practices, Policy Considerations & COVID-19 (.pdf) for guidance on practicing telepsychiatry with college students.